I am writing to introduce TopCoder software competitions,
http://www.topcoder.com. I found your email address from a list of
Linux User Groups in the US. If you believe that the following will be
helpful to your members, I ask that you pass this along. Feel free to
use this email as is or with any personal touch you'd like.
TopCoder is a high profile set of programming competitions that
culminate in an international competition once a year: The TopCoder
Invitational. We seek to provide value to programmers of all skill
levels through the use of head to head competition.
TopCoder competitions offer the following benefits to programmers:
* Fair and objective assessment of
* Ability to learn from highly skilled
(professional and college) programmers.
* Ability to obtain a rating demonstrating
* International recognition for highly
* Exposure to employers and major
* Win a share of a $10,000 purse twice a
* Ability to win up to $100,000 USD once a
* No cost or obligation to the member.
How it works:
* TopCoder holds online competitions twice
* Developers have the choice to compete in
Java or C++.
* Programmers compete in a three-phase
competition consisting of:
-Phase I - Coding solutions to
three problems of varying
-Phase II - Challenging other
programmers code through the
use of 'challenges' to their code.
-Phase III - System test
performed by TopCoder's servers for
* Programmers are separated into virtual
rooms of 10 per room, giving each developer a 3 in 10 chance of winning.
* Seeding and Divisions are utilized so
programmers only compete against members of a similar skill level.
* Cash prizes are awarded based on the
placement in each room, with the top performing developers winning a
larger share of the prize pool.
TopCoder currently has fourteen thousand members, representing all of
the top schools and many of the top companies in the U.S. Roughly 600
of these members compete in each match. Our membership represents over
90 different countries.
This is a great way for coders to assess their skills against some of
the best programmers in the world. It is also a great way to learn as
all of the problems and solutions are available online.
Again, I invite you to send this email to your members should you think
it would benefit them. Please do not hesitate to email me at
firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Thank you for your time.
P.S. You can also earn some extra cash by referring others to TopCoder.
Please check out www.topcoder.com/referral